Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Where did that come from?

If you read my blog from yesterday you may be wondering 'Where did that come from?' I just had a couple of weeks off to study and I spent hours and hours writing and researching. Sunday was my first Sunday back in the pulpit, leading worship, etc. and I really struggled. I found myself 'doing church' or 'doing my job'. I knew that something was wrong but I just could not put my finger on it. As I prayed about it I began to realize that I had slipped into filling a pulpit, trying to grow a church, trying to make people happy.
  • God was saying "now is the time to stretch the boundaries, the time to challenge and be challenged, the time to take tremendous steps of faith, the time for the mustard seed".
  • My faith level was saying "sure, sounds good, but have you looked around at my reality? I am afraid - there is a precarious balancing act going on and I do not want to upset the apple cart, wouldn't it be better just to accept what is?"
The moment I realized what was in my heart I confessed it to God and asked Him for His picture again. I simply cannot accept just filling a place or position. There is too much at stake, too many broken lives, too much eternity . . . it does not matter what anyone else expects, it matters what God has given me to do.

Thanks for praying. God is challenging me to grow so that we can grow. I cannot lead where I have not been.

2 comments:

  1. PJ, I am so excited to see how both churches are growing. Fort Miller is establishing a solid foundation for the Body of Christ and the Lord has put a master builder as His diciple. He surely knows how to challange you.
    Chestertown sounds so lively. It is special to see little ones running around, teens learning about Jesus, and adults taking interest in their church. I know how I feel about Riley as she learns of Jesus and sings before the congragation with no fear. Children have no fear of Chris, that's something most experience after some point in their lives. The hope is that they come back to Christ. I am sure glad I did.
    Sue and I will be in the area sometime this summer to see my son Jeff. We plan on stopping by to see you all. Keeping you and the family, as well as the churches, in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey James,

    I found you among your Aunt Anne's FB friends and Googled you. Great to see you giving your life to Christ and to His Church as a pastor. Praise the Lord!

    I'm in the Baltimore-Washington area working with Baptist churches (something like a DS). Nice to see you're here in the east.

    Blessings,
    John Brittain
    john@arundelbaptist.info

    ReplyDelete